by Shailja Kapur
Essential oils are well known to possess the healing benefits as they create significant impact on our body as a whole in a deeper way. There are various ways to enhance the benefits of essential oils and incorporate in our lifestyle. The different ways of using them are:
- Direct Inhalation: This is the easiest and quickest method in healing with essential oils. Just inhale the aroma of essential oil by putting a few drops of it on a cotton wool, cotton bud, a tissue or any suitable cloth. If you got essential oils handy then this method can be used anytime and anywhere. That is why this mode is great for students, travellers, before the interviews or anyone who seeks it.
- Steam inhalation: It is one of the ancient methods of receiving the healing properties of essential oils. It can be used as preventative and therapeutic remedy. The use of essential oils through steam inhalation works actively on the respiratory system.
For steam inhalation, add a few drops of desired essential oils to a large bowl of hot water. Then cover your head with a towel big enough to cover your face and neck. Inhale the steam with closed eyes while keeping your face in a comfortable position. Always follow safety guidelines. Make sure not to keep the face too close and do not overdo.
- Vaporisation: Essential oils, when used in this mode, play a great role in spreading the aroma not only towards you but also to your surroundings. The fragrance emitted from these aromatic oils makes an environment serene and promotes calmness. Choose the essential oil according to the desirability.
- Compress: Another excellent and effective way of using essential oils for healing. The compress alleviates pain, swelling and inflammation to some extent. The compress is very useful in the muscular pain, strain or cramp and much more. They can be made either with hot or cold water depending on the type of treatment.
For a hot compress, we need a bowl of very hot water, desired essential oils and sterilised cotton cloth. Please make sure the water should not be boiling water. Always follow safety guidelines.
Take a bowl of very hot water and add a few drops of desired essential oils in it. Immerse the cloth in it and let it get soaked properly. Now take out the cloth from the bowl and wring or press to remove excess water. Hot compress is now ready for use. Apply it to the affected area. Repeat the procedure when the compress cools.
For cold compress, follow the same method but use chilled water instead of hot water.
Please note – those with sensitive skin should adjust the water temperature accordingly.
- Massage: Most popular method in aromatherapy as it helps in relaxation and stimulates the blood circulation. For massage purpose, dilute 5 drops of essential oil with the 10ml carrier oil. While massaging; these oils penetrates the skin, get absorbed and circulated in our body system; which improves health.
- Bathing: One of the excellent methods for relaxation and stress reduction. Though it is time consuming as compared to other essential oil delivery methods but still it is worth. I believe it not only relaxes mind and body but also cleanses aura.
Before using essential oils for bathing purpose always blend it with a suitable dispersant of your choice to get the maximum benefits.
Disperse a few drops of essential oils along with the dispersant and Epsom salt under the running warm water to create an aroma bath. Relax in the bath for 10-15 minutes to extract the healing benefits of the oils.
Enjoy the benefits of aromatherapy by using the essential oils in different ways depending upon the requirement to promote well being.
Love & Light!
Shailja Kapur is a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Healer. She got passion for various Reiki practices and other healing modalities. She also practices Candle Healing, Distant Healing, Crystal Healing, Dowsing, Magnified Healing, Yoga and Guided Meditation. She always felt a strong connection with Reiki. She had started practicing Reiki since her childhood without knowing what she used to do is called Reiki. As possibilities are endless with Reiki, her enthusiasm to experiment Reiki and share her experiences with the world. She believes self- purification, self-dedication and selflessness enhances your Reiki experiences. Shailja can be reached via her e-mail address email@example.com.