by Sumedha Rewar
Aroma oils are used for a variety of purposes. They can be used as diffusers, cosmetic additives, and many other recipes. These oils have an impact on the physical and mental state of mind of a person. Aroma oil used in massage can be absorbed by the body and affects the endocrine system. A few of the oils can be consumed in the tea or other recipes. These oils have a different effect on everyone and hence, they should be wisely selected to get the desired effects.
It is essential to understand that only diluted oils should be applied on the skin. Natural oils are always preferred over synthetic oils. Synthetic oils might have the similar odor but they are not healthy for your desired purpose. They can be used for aromatization of the rooms but not applied to the skin or consumed directly. It could cause irritability or allergy to the skin.
Distinguishing Natural Essential Oils from Synthetic Oils
The essential oils can be distinguished as natural or synthetic on the basis of many lab tests. However, you can still make out from some easy experiments to see if the oil you’re using is extracted naturally or produced synthetically.
Ways to distinguish natural oils from synthetic versions
- Price is the major factor in determining the authenticity of any natural oil. If you see a large bottle of the oil marked with ‘100% Natural’ tag and a very low price, it would certainly be a fake product.
- The people who are sensitive to odors can determine the oil quality in a precise way by its application on a cloth or wrist. Natural volatile oils have different quality and there is a variation in the odor after a certain period of time. On the other side, synthetic odors are not long lasting. They might appear bright in the beginning but die very soon.
- Natural essential oils don’t leave oily tinges or stains on a paper whereas the synthetic oils leave out its marks.
- Natural oils are packed in glass bottles with proper colors recommended for them. Make sure that you read about these oils and their preferred storage before making the right purchase.
- One brand can’t give all natural ethers at the same price. The extraction of these oils is different and there are various methods to extract them. Some of them are taken from wild plants and others might require industrial applications for extraction. The process is different and hence, the oil prices also vary.
- Natural essential oils lose their properties fast and may evaporate if the bottle cap is loose.
- If the packaging gives information that the oil is for external use only or ‘100% pure aroma oil’, it is quite probable that the oil is synthetic.
- Some essential oils are synthetic as they can’t be extracted from plants in any way. Fruit aromas are synthetic (For example, peach, lotus, lilac or strawberry).
Essential oils are used in cosmetics in small quantities. You can turn on your smelling power and get a mixture of these oils diluted with other fragrances. A Minimal amount of these oils can create a unique flavor to any cosmetic or oil. Handmade products usually include these oils for attaining the best results and aroma from their unique blends.
Sumedha Rewaris an expert in aroma-therapy and has experience in sharing valuable information for Reiki and Yoga articles as well. She is eager to know about the newest trends in the market and researching about them in the best way. Her experiments in essential oils with the scientific study have motivated her towards sharing the valuable information for the same.