by Sumedha Rewar
Lemongrass essential oil is really helpful in many ways. It is multifunctional and can be used as an anti-depressant, analgesic, antimicrobial, antiseptic, bactericidal, deodorant, febrifuge, fungicidal, insecticidal, sedative and tonic element.
The process of deriving this oil is through steam distillation of the dried lemongrass. It smells like lemons but it is comparatively milder and sweeter in tone than the lemon oil. Lemongrass is used in different beverages, desserts and flavoring agents as a substitute to real lemon. It is the best item in the mainstream and organic sector with wide usage in Chinese and Thai recipes. Lemongrass grows rapidly like other grass and has many medicinal properties.
Some Health Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Analgesic: Lemongrass oil can help in reducing inflammation and pain. It can reduce toothaches, headaches and other kinds of soreness.
- Astringent: As an astringent, lemongrass oil can help the contraction of the blood vessels. Astringent can clot the blood and stop the blood flow. In the long run, it can prevent hair loss and loosening of teeth.
- Deodorant: Lemongrass oil is a natural deodorant and has long lasting power. It can reduce the chances of irritation and avoids allergies caused by synthetic deodorants. It is a good choice for the people looking for least side effects with natural products.
- Carminative: Lemongrass essential oil can relieve the people having gastric issues. It can relieve gas from the intestine and halters its formation. The abdominal muscles are relaxed and excess of gas is removed.
- Antimicrobial: Lemongrass oil has antimicrobial properties and it inhibits the microbial and bacterial growth in the body. It can clear your stomach, urinary tract, wounds, colon and other parts of the body and helps in keeping away from the occurrence of diseases like food poisoning, skin diseases, typhoid, and others.
- Antiseptic: Lemongrass oil can treat the external or internal wounds. It is an active ingredient in many antiseptic lotions and creams. It doesn’t let the wounds become septic.
- Diuretic: Lemongrass can be beneficial for increasing the urination frequency, which means that it can help in losing the fats from the body. The more you urinate, the better you’ll lose the fat. It can promote the loss of weight and doesn’t let the stomach form excess of gas. It can remove toxins from the body and acts as a natural cleanser for kidneys.
- Febrifuge and Anti-pyretic: It can bring down the excessive fever and battles the major causes of infection. This oil can bring down the fevers when they are on the verge of reaching towards highest levels.
- Antidepressant: Lemongrass oil can improve mental strength and uplifts mood and spirits. It can drive away the depression and relieves anxiety.
- Fungicidal: It can cure fungal infections inside or outside the body.
- Insect repellent: Lemongrass oil is a natural insect repellant and has insecticidal properties.
- Nervous Strength: This oil can act as a nerve tonic. It can cure many nervous disorders and stimulates them in the best way.
- Sedative: This oil can help in sedating the body and have calm effects on the mind. It can relieve anxiety and stress; and even helps you to sleep well.
- Tonic: Lemongrass oil can tone and boost the functioning of various body systems. It improves the body on the whole and improves digestive system, respiratory system, nervous system and excretory system. It provides strength to the body systems.
- Galactogogue: This is an important factor for breastfeeding mothers. Galactogogue can enhance milk production in mammary glands and improves the quality of milk. It is the best for the nursing mothers and also keeps the babies away from infectious sources.
Blends of Lemongrass Oils:
Lemongrass oil is mainly blended with the following oils:
- Cedar Wood
- Tea Tree
How is Lemongrass Oil made?
Lemongrass oil is produced by steam distillation. It is easily available in the market. You can also produce it by your own by taking two lemongrass stalks. Crush and mash them with am mortar and pestle. Oil will be released and can be collected in a jar. You can get the maximum potency by keeping the stalks in the oil mixture for two days.
Using Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass oil can be applied tropically or internally. You can dilute lemongrass oil for its hormone balancing effects and anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used as a flavoring agent in cooking. The oil is easily available in the online stores or market shops. You can make your own oil, but it would be a lengthy and time-consuming process.
Try out the beauty of this oil and get the multiple benefits by making use of Lemongrass Oil.
Sumedha Rewaris an expert in aroma-therapy and has experience in sharing valuable information for Reiki and Yoga articles as well. She is eager to know about the newest trends in the market and researching about them in the best way. Her experiments in essential oils with the scientific study have motivated her towards sharing the valuable information for the same.