by Shailja Kapur
Essential oil Reed diffuser is an excellent way of spreading the fragrance to any surroundings without the use of harsh and synthetic chemicals. It is a classical alternative to the candles and great for the spaces, particularly, where we cannot light the candle for fire and safety regulations.
The wooden reeds absorb the aroma from the essential oils used in the diffuser and constantly dissipate to the nearby environment.
I would like to share my practical way of making an Essential oil Reed diffuser at home, especially for beginners.
Things you need:
– Glass container with a narrow opening
If you prefer, you can reuse the previous reed diffuser (if you have one) by washing up thoroughly, drying and leaving it in sunlight before use.
If you prefer to make in one container and then transfer it to another then use a glass container for mixing (Old glass jar or mixer bottle works great, just put the contents and shake it ). Then transfer the contents to the glass container of your choice. If you find it difficult in pouring, use the funnel.
– Reed diffuser sticks (The size of the stick should be more than the double length of the glass container) or even you can try old tree twigs as well.
– Essential oils you fancy (at least blend two essential oils)
– Less aromatic carrier oil. Please note that carrier oil should not be a mineral oil. The cost effective way for the beginners is the safflower oil.
The normally recommended ratio is 30% essential oil to 70% carrier oil.
It means for 100 ml mixture, we will use 70 ml of carrier oil and 30ml of essential oil.
To make it more precise to give you the basic idea; for every 7 drops of carrier oil, put 3 drops of essential oil for the above mixture. But this is not the hard and fast rule as some essential oil aromas are much stronger than the others. Therefore they are required in less quantity. Be creative with the blending and just follow your intuition.
- It is so easy and simple.
- Take a container and pour the desired amount of carrier oil.
- Now add the first essential oil of your choice and mix it nicely with a carrier oil.
- Now add another essential oil and shake it.
- Sniff the aroma.
- If it is appealing to you then it is all done.
- If it is overpowering do the adjustments with the blend.
- Insert and dip the reed diffuser sticks to the mixture and change the sticks ends when they are moist.
- If you have a wider neck bottle, use crumbled newspaper to make a desired shape and size and fit the reeds through it.
- If you think, the blend is losing its fragrance then just top up with the desired amount of essential oil.
- Sometimes to get the perfect blend does take time. If you are not sure how to proceed; then the first thing to decide which fragrance you like the most and then just check which is another essential oil compatible with that fragrance.
It is from my personal experience that on occasions the blend does not smell the way you expected and you have to experiment for a while to reach the desired scent.
Please note that the viscosities of the oils are higher as compared to that of water or alcohol, therefore, the diffusion rate of essential oil diffusers are slower as compared to their water and alcohol-based counterparts. The essential oil diffusers are still a great natural way of spreading aroma to your near surroundings and create a subtle impact on the aura.
To be honest, as a beginner to make an essential oil Reed diffuser; we do not have to be an expert with essential oils but must have an enthusiasm towards learning.
Be creative and keep experimenting till you reach the desired fragrance. But once it’s done, you know it forever.
Love & Light!
Shailja Kapur is a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Healer. She got passion for various Reiki practices and other healing modalities. She also practices Candle Healing, Distant Healing, Crystal Healing, Dowsing, Magnified Healing, Yoga and Guided Meditation. She always felt a strong connection with Reiki. She had started practicing Reiki since her childhood without knowing what she used to do is called Reiki. As possibilities are endless with Reiki, her enthusiasm to experiment Reiki and share her experiences with the world. She believes self- purification, self-dedication and selflessness enhances your Reiki experiences. Shailja can be reached via her e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org.