by Shailja Kapur
Skin, the largest organ of the body gives the first impression of the person to the outside world along with the body language. To make a skin more appealing, hydrosols can play a significant role, if used as a part of regular skincare. They are the by- products of the distillation of essential oils.
Hydrosols are gentle on the skin as they contain essential oils in a much-diluted form along with the richness of other water soluble plant compounds. These compounds are generally lost on the production of the essential oils. The therapeutic properties of the hydrosols make the skin to soothe, calm and heal.
Hydrosols can be used in the regular skincare depending on the skin type and conditions. Rose and Chamomile hydrosols can be used from normal to the mature skin types.
The top ten uses of hydrosols are:
- Toners: They are excellent toners and can be used just after cleansing to control sebum production.
- Facial Spray: Just use it as a spray any time of the day for the calming, cooling and hydrating effect to the skin.
- In Face Packs: Mix the face pack in the hydrosols of your choice for the added benefit.
- Treating Sun-Burns: Cooling mist of some hydrosols not only soothes the sunburn but also heals it. Lavender being the most popular one and it can be used for all skin types. Peppermint hydrosol is great for the places of sun, sea, and sand.
- Skin Conditions: Certain skin conditions like acne, eczema, dryness, itchy and flaky skin can be healed with the regular use of appropriate hydrosols. As some of the hydrosols have antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Under-Eye Bags: Puffiness due to itchy and irritated skin under eyes can be reduced with the help of chamomile hydrosol. Cover each eye with the cotton wool pads soaked in chamomile hydrosol for a few minutes and notice the difference.
Rose floral water can be used every day for soothing the tired eyes by covering each eye with cotton wool pads soaked in it.
- Deodorant Foot Spray: Tea-tree hydrosol can be used as a natural odor control spray for foot and shoe to get rid of the smelly feet.
- Laundry Fragrance: Any citrus base or rose hydrosols can be added to the final rinse in the drawer of the washing machine to give freshness to the laundry.
- Aftershave and Insect Bites: Witch Hazel floral water is one of the renowned products to be used for cuts, bruises and cracked skin for all skin types. That makes an excellent natural aftershave. It also helps in treating cold sores and insect bites.
- Aromatherapy: Last but not the least it can be blended with carrier oils or creams for the facial or body massages to gives freshness to the skin. When using for the facial steams just mix it in the water. It brings freshness and brightness to the skin by gently revitalizing the skin by tightening up the pores and maintaining the skin balance.
Enjoy the hydrosols and make sure to get them from reliable resources.
I would like to thank my late mom who encouraged me to have the passion for using the plants and its products for the skin, body and health.
Love & Light!
Shailja Kapur is a Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki Healer. She got passion for various Reiki practices and other healing modalities. She also practices Candle Healing, Distant Healing, Crystal Healing, Dowsing, Magnified Healing, Yoga and Guided Meditation. She always felt a strong connection with Reiki. She had started practicing Reiki since her childhood without knowing what she used to do is called Reiki. As possibilities are endless with Reiki, her enthusiasm to experiment Reiki and share her experiences with the world. She believes self- purification, self-dedication and selflessness enhances your Reiki experiences. Shailja can be reached via her e-mail address email@example.com.