by Sumedha Rewar
Inhaling essential oils is a great way to grab the benefits of essential oils. We can breathe in the benefits of the oil along with taking the actions required for living. Essential oils can be inhaled with the help of diffusers.
To know more about diffusers, we’ll look for their four major categories:
Evaporative diffusers can work by drawing room temperature through a filter or pad containing the oil. By this way, the air can vaporize and diffusion occurs with the oil molecules. For example, inhalers, diffuser necklace, reeds, clay diffusers or a towel might act as evaporative diffusers.
- The major benefit of evaporative diffusers is that they don’t require any heat, which keeps the therapeutic properties of essential oils alive.
- There is no need of electric power to make them run. Hence, these are portable and flexible.
- Evaporative diffusers don’t require any carrier oil or water for acting as a base. So, you can get the pure goodness of the oils in a desirable way.
- They are simple to use. Put a few drops on the diffuser and it will start working
- The area of diffusion is smaller. You can get standard diffusion only within 6-8 feet area.
- Changing and blending of oils is hard as they are absorbed into evaporate diffusers.
- The rate of diffusion varies for all the oils. The oils are diffused by air (at room temperature) and hence, the rate of diffusion will be different for all. Blend of oils might be a trouble in this aspect.
Ultrasonic diffusers can make use of the high electronic frequencies for vibrating the liquid consisting of blended essential oils. The vibrations are meant to send a fine mist of oil and water mixture in the air.
- There is no heat given to diffuse the oil and hence, there is no alteration in the therapeutic properties of the oil blend.
- They can diffuse in mid to large area. Most of them are suitable for bedrooms or living areas, which is quite useful.
- There is no need of excess oil and you can put a few drops in the base oil or water every time.
- There is no mess in cleaning or changing the oils.
- You’ll find a lot of ultrasonic diffusers in the market.
- Electric power is required for these diffusers. Hence, these are difficult to carry and have lesser flexibility.
- There can be increase in humid levels in a room. It could be a problem in humid areas.
- Water is required for the base and the proportion of water is higher than the essential oils. You’ll ultimately get less oils and more water to inhale.
Heat diffusers make use of heat for vaporizing and diffusion of the essential oils. The heat can be generated through electricity or fire (on the basis of heat diffuser type). There will be a base required for mixing the oil (water, wax or carrier oil). These are mainly in the form of vaporizers, tea light burners or aromatherapy candles.
- The oils are diffused very rapidly. Heat is always a great medium for vaporization process and it spreads the aroma most quickly.
- The mood is enhanced by creating a cozy and warm environment. Candles usually create relaxing ambience and also give warm lighting in the room.
- The use of heat hampers the chemical composition of many essential oils, which can affect the therapeutic value of the oils.
- There is a risk of fire hazard as naked flames are always dangerous, especially if kids or pets are at home.
COLD AIR DIFFUSERS
Cold air diffusers are also termed as ‘Nebulizers’. These make use of the pressurized room temperature for atomizing the essential oils to micro molecules spread into the air.
- They don’t require heat for diffusion.
- They produce fewer oil molecules in comparison to the other diffusers. Small molecules can help in easy absorption and inhalation for reaping the best benefits of aroma oils.
- They don’t require any carrier oils or water for diffusion. So, there is pure essential oil available for inhalation.
- They require electric supply for working. These are less portable and flexible.
- These are expensive.
- They require more efforts for cleaning.
Which is the best way to diffuse essential oils?
You can try out the different diffusers and choose the best ones as per your need. The major thing is to know the purpose of using a diffuser and if you are clear about it; there is no way to go wrong with your choice. We’ve listed the advantages and disadvantages of all four types of diffusers. Now, it is your decision to select the most appropriate diffuser as per your personal requirements.
Sumedha Rewaris an expert in aroma-therapy and has experience in sharing valuable information for Reiki and Yoga articles as well. She is eager to know about the newest trends in the market and researching about them in the best way. Her experiments in essential oils with the scientific study have motivated her towards sharing the valuable information for the same.